Monday, November 29, 2010

Bamboo Music Festival

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The Bamboo Music Festival is a festival that promotes, preserve and develop traditional Sabah musical instrument that is commonly made from bamboo. Numerous activities such as traditional bamboo based games such as the Rampanau race (walking on bamboo stilts), building house model using bamboo etc.. and of course the highlight of the event performance by Bamboo Music Orchestra.

The festival is held for 2 days from 23rd November until the 24th November 2010. It is the 1st Bamboo Music Festival that I attended, I am ashamed to admit that before Dac Latte called me at 9am this morning (the 24th) I never even heard of this festival. She manage to dragged my ass outta bed and before 12pm, both of us were on our way to Tamparuli.

     But when we arrived there we had NO FUCKING IDEA where the festival is held.

Made quite a few wrong turn and when we asked the locals 2 out of 3 gave us wrong directions. Which lead us all to the wrong places, we were completely lost without a help from a nice uncle and his family which gave us a correct direction and we managed to find our way there.

It wasn’t held at Dewan Tun Hamdan for this year (apparently the Bamboo Music Festival is held yearly in November *gawd I’m so clueless*) but near to the District office and we got there just in time! woohoo!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Picked front row seats and while waiting for the guest of honor to arrive, camwhore lar 1st. But then was ushered by the MC to move to the back. (T_T)

Around 1.30 pm the orchestra start gathering and took their places on stage.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA I really don’t know what to expect at that time. I never heard an orchestra consist of bamboo musical instrument before. The only thing made from bamboo I ever heard was the sompoton and it wasn’t played that good either.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA The spirit of 1 Malaysia is in the house. Wearing our indigenous costumes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Not quite a full house, probably because of the heat. The lack of fans and air conditioning made the place feels like an oven even though it’s cloudy outside. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Announcing the arrival of the guest of honor.

And let the orchestra begins!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

An opening dance ceremony which I think if it was choreograph by Daclatte would be much better.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was totally blown away by the orchestra. You just gotta be there to listen and be amazed. No worries tho, there’ll be a video at the end of this post.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Poem Declamation.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA As the orchestra take a bow, the audience gave standing ovation for the orchestra.

Daclatte and I then venture outside to check out the stalls and hand crafts.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA I iz dunno what this iz. Me thinks it some kind of bamboo drum judging from the book we bought.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA I definitely can verify this one. This is a kulintangan or bamboo xylophone. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA I like this thing. I made a house model just like this once, only it’s not made from bamboo but plywood.

This look much better for a Barbie house rather than that pink plastic house. They should make a Kampung Barbie.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What the hell is this? Sorry for the inconvenience but I forgot to ask any information about it and it wasn’t in the guide book. But those who know do share in this blog please.

P1010094 errr… another kulintangan or bamboo xylophone.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Flute

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Food and drinks to satisfy your hunger.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERABut then when eating is over… 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The trash started. There were only 2 trash bin around and it was stuffed by garbage and it’s not a pleasant sight to look at.

and before we go, a cute aunty stopped us and said we forgot to take the card calendar. I stupidly asked whether the card is free or not (*insert blush*), the aunty simply laugh and said of course.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Hmph! I’ve been to the bamboo festival 2010.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Outside the gate, free nescafe and maggi!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Posing next to the nescafe model. She look as if she’s having a nescafe orgasm. I look stupid grinning beside her.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA The event was covered by Sabahan.fm ~ Bagus bah…~Ya, mimang bagus!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Astro was there as well. Probably to lure people into buying Astro beyond so you can see your favourite channel in HD! yeah… I’ll stick to the old one.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Outside. Due to lack of parking spaces, we gotta park beside the road. Thank gawd, no passing lorry accidently hit our car.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe famous Jambatan Tamparuli… NOT

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA But this one. Yes… Not a good place to walk in heels. FOR REAL

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Went halfway to Kiulu and saw this road. Scary…

And I’ll leave you with this video… Sorry it’s not really a good quality since I took it with my digi cam only and my hand was shaking… a bit. But still listenable :D

They even played Waving Flag the World Cup Anthem.

I bid farewell again my friends and may we meet again in the next post.

xoxo

Cynta

9 comments:

gunsirit said...

really nice pictures. really like the miniature traditional houses.. :)

SuicideCandy said...

thank you. :)I like tat 1 too.

Aj said...

pung pung pung pung... the sounds from the bamboo...

SuicideCandy said...

LOL... bad recording on my side then . :P

Jong said...

Great post~~~

sabahsongs said...

HILARIOUS! What a great post!

mArMaLaDe said...

eventho im a tamparulian, havent attend this kinda festival..
oh btw, itu jalan raya memang scary, especially when u jln kaki malam2.. ;D

*missing home*

Del Glamiva said...

Oh gosh I love the houses! I think the traditional thingy that you don't know the name of is angklung. I think la.

SuicideCandy said...

Jong : Thank You :)

Sabah SOng: LOL... thanks

Marmalade: hehe... owh no... nasib tidak limpas time malam...

Del Glamiva: Thanks for the info, now I know. :)... me love the houses too.

AddThis